Friday, April 25, 2008

"Professional Assistants Day"?!?!?!?

So this week was Professional Assistants day - fka - Secretary's Day! YUCK!!

I started my career some 33 years ago at American Equity Corporation - and yes - I was proud to be a "secretary". It ran its course and I knew that I must complete my education and get my degree - which after 11 long years - I did. I majored in accounting at the 'U', passed the CPA exam, worked for Coopers & Lybrand in public accounting and became a "licensed professional".

Well to make a long story short, six years ago, I was looking for work and was hired by a "grand old law firm" - Prince, Yeates and Geldzahler - as their Controller/Accounting Manager. This is an office where the "secretaries" are still referred to as "the girls" and if you a woman - you are automatically grouped with "the girls".

The first "professional assistants" day I was around for - I walked into my office and found a flower in a vase with a card thanking me. Needless to say - I was "livid" - I was not anyone's "professional assistant". I remember throwing the card and exclaiming - "I hate this place - I am so over qualified for this job - it's ridiculous!" The office manager - who has been with the firm for 35 years - figured out how I felt - and apologized for the flower, note, etc.....

Well some five years later - I am still here - "the girls" are still referred to as "the girls". I go to the luncheon - but as part of management - and I haven't received another flower!!!! Yesterday, as the luncheon was winding down, the conversation around the table was getting a little edgy (actually gross). One of "the girls" (who I think is 57 years old) began talking about a subject that was inappropriate, and I didn't like it. I looked around the room, looked at my cell phone, stood up and walked out! It felt great! I didn't say anything - but I think "the girls" finally figured out I wasn't one of "the girls"!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Cindy! At least you get free cokes at your work! My job is so professional that all our "clients" get the day off for the prom. - Haley

japetersen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
japetersen said...

Sorry Cindy --
I have an article at work that I read every now and then about the battles women have and still face in the workplace. It's been nearly 100 years since we got the "right" to vote. Women really do run corporate America, education, and just about everything else. We have our children, get them to school, multitask our lives in every dimension and will never be part of the "good old boys." And frankly, I am most proud to be numbered as a women's rights minded, free thinking, self-relient, working "tough old (and very competent) broad". And frankly, I am insulted that some women accept a "day" for recognition. I also detest female "war stoires and discussions."
Your sister --

Blog Archive