Monday, February 23, 2009

This is Sister Argyle in Argentina......

The words made my heart sink as I answered the phone Sunday afternoon. First I thought someone was playing a practical joke - sounded like a person in our ward - but it was in fact Sister Argyle calling. She assured me Elder Wood was fine but that he had a problem with his ATM card. He tried to use it but it was "eaten" by the machine and he thought something was fishy. She was calling to have me check his account, close the card, etc........

Elder Wood was correct....about $520 taken from his account. I cancelled the card and reported the problem to the bank and transferred the remaining balance out of his account. I hope we will recover the $520 but it could have been worse.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story - maybe he was at the ATM when a "fish" attacked him - or maybe a guy with a knife - or maybe he had to fight off "robbers" - or maybe......I hope to hear the details in this week's letter.

Wait - I just got an email from Elder Whitmer from the financial office of the mission and he want's to talk to me about the card. CAN'T THEY JUST HAVE PRESTON CALL ME!!!!!!!!!

Okay - Elder Whitmer just called me....on my cell phone....he called Elder Wood to see if he could give me a number to get a hold of me....and of course....Preston remembered my cell phone!!! What a stud.....

So the story from Elder Whitmer is that Preston had just finished meetings with President Argyle on Sunday evening and needed $$ to get back to his apartment. He stopped at a "sketchy ATM" machine and his card wouldn't work. So some guy came up to him and asked him was was going on and then told Preston that he needed to do this...and this...and this... But his card never came out. Well - the "helpful person" was probably the thief!!!!! I asked Elder Whitmer why they just didn't have Elder Wood call me - laughter was the response......

We have decided (Evan and me) which I confirmed with Elder Whitmer - that we will get a new card - CREDIT - not DEBIT from a totally different account. This way the THIEF won't be able to use his account to steal more $$$$$!!!!!!

WHEW - I'm stressed out right now!!!!!

By the way - Elder Whitmer is from Yuma, AZ and has been out about 18 months. He said Elder Wood is a great example to the mission!!!!!

1 comment:

japetersen said...

Sorry, Cindy --
I am glad all he took was the card and not the boy!

Blog Archive