Friday, April 4, 2014

My Dad...now there is a man!


Today is Dad's 85th Birthday. He is not spending it where and how he would have liked.

We had gotten his approval to have a Birthday Bash (of course he was a bit hesitant). But then in an instant...his life changed.

A fall resulted in a broken neck. The surgery was a success---it's just that everything else hasn't been.

He is a strong man. He is a determined man. He is a great example of never giving up. I can't even imagine the pain he has been in and continues to go through.

I have a great family. We have not even thought twice about not being there for him. I feel for those people who don't have the support system that Dad has. We don't always see eye to eye but we are all willing to help when needed.

As my niece Haley said, "he the last of the old wise people" in our lives. He is loved by his children and their spouses, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, ward members, neighbors. He has had such an influence over so many people. Preston moved to Magna a little over a year ago and he now understands and realizes how many peoples lives his Grandpa helped in so many ways as their bishop, neighbor and friend.

He loved our Mom so much and did everything he could to help her as her health failed. I have felt my Mom's presence many times over the past three years and I have felt her near this last 2 1/2 weeks. The veil is thin...life is fragile...I'm grateful for my parents and the great examples they have been in my life.

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

I read your title and thought of that song my mom has sung before, "My dad . ba bum, ba bum . . now here . . ."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-vYuV3OmhE&feature=kp

Amber Isenhour said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father. He is lucky to have such a loving family. That will make all the difference in his recovery!! Hope his health continues to improve and that any pain he is in stops and he can enjoy time with his family painfree.

Blog Archive