Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My First Born

Today is Preston's Birthday. I vividly remember the day he was born. I was working at Coopers & Lybrand (one of the Big 8 accounting firms in the day). I think I was the first pregnant professional they had ever dealt with. It was the 80's - kind of a weird time - though at the time we didn't know just how weird. I had worked out of town during my pregnancy - mainly in the booming metropolis of Price, Utah. I worked up to and including April 28th. There was a retirement luncheon that day for the Office Manager - a woman named Ruth Gonet. It was at the Salt Lake Country Club. I was feeling pretty miserable.

For some reason after the luncheon, I ended up in the office of Dick Goode, the Managing Partner. I must have also looked miserable, because he asked me what I was doing at work. I don't remember what my answer was. I intended to go to work on Friday, the 29th and got up, felt kind of crappy, had a shower and then asked Evan to call work and let them know I wasn't going to be in. Of course, I had never been in labor before and didn't quite know what to expect. Well, I was in labor.

We went to the hospital at around 1:00 p.m. It was a beautiful spring day. I delivered Preston at around 7:30 p.m. It was interesting and was the hardest delivery of my three children. Two days later, on May 1st, we took him home in a total blizzard. Typical Spring in Utah! The days following were a blur, but were quite an adjustment to a 31 year old woman who had been able to come and go as she wanted. I remember Mom appearing at my door every day for a couple of weeks around lunch time to help me get my act together. She was an angel!

Being a mother is a blessing. Preston was/is a good "first" child. He is loving, kind, smart, ambitious, competitive, respectful, and a little feisty.

Now, 26 years later, Preston is going to be a dad. The circle of life is amazing. I'm so thankful for Preston. He is going to be a great Dad and I can't wait to see his life change as he welcomes his child into the world.
 
 

No comments:

Blog Archive