Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Experiences in the life of a ward organist....

Part 1: I am one of two organists in our ward and have had some "interesting" experiences in the last couple of weeks. The organist that I share time with is what you might call "challenged" and we get a kick out of her playing every week. Well, March is my month to play, and I think she has rubbed off on me. I started playing the opening hymn, and it seemed completely different than the one I had practiced - and guess what - it was. The chorister turned to me and said - "Page 230" - I looked at my hymn book and I was on Page 229!!!! I quickly turned the page, started over and we went on. I was so embarrassed - couldn't believe what I had done. Even after that, people told me how much they enjoyed my playing - WHAT? Meranda said that's pretty impressive that I can screw up and people tell me that they enjoy my playing!!!!

Part 2: So - I was asked to play the organ for the Adult session of Stake Conference on Saturday. I was supposed to start playing at 6:45 p.m. - so I arrived a little before that. I go up to the organ - and guess what - it was a brand new organ and completely different than any organ I have ever played. It had more stops, more pedals, more everything. I couldn't even find the on switch. Needless to say, it wasn't my best organist performance (again). I finally figured things out by the last song....Evan was cracking up and the chorister pulled a few interesting facial expressions. Oh well - they probably won't ask me again.

Can't wait to see what my encore is going to be this Sunday......

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

so sorry. i'm sure you did fine.

japetersen said...

I am sure you covered for yourself. You have excellent piano/organ skills. But, I bet is was kind of funny --
Judy

Blog Archive