Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's my Birthday and I'll post if I want to!



Today, January 20th, is my birthday. It's a nice even number day even though it is in January. Every 4 years the President of the United States is sworn in on my Birthday. I never really liked having a birthday in January. All of the stuff in the stores is left over from Christmas, the spring merchandise is being put out, but who feels like buying that in January!?!?!?!?!

I've lived a short (or somedays) a long 54 years. I don't feel like I'm 54 whatever that is supposed to feel like.

So I've been thinking about what I have done in those 54 years. The other night Parker told me that his Keyboarding teacher was a Sterling Scholar in Business. I told him that I was and he was surprised because he didn't know that. My life B.M. (before marriage) is somewhat a mystery to my family because I don't really talk about it much. So as I have been reflecting about those "early" years I thought that there probably are some things that the readers of my blog might like to know........

I started playing the piano when I was about 5 years old. I only had about 4 weeks of formal lessons - and was self taught with the support of Mom. I played my first solo at my 2nd grade Christmas party and was accompanying the school choir in 6th grade. I was the ward organist from about the time I was 13 (and still am today).

I attended Webster Elementary for Kindergarten and 1st grade and then went to Lakeridge Elementary starting in 2nd grade when it was a brand new school. I was on the student council in 2nd grade because Mike Fraser, the President of School, picked me and I hated it! I started playing the clarinet in 3rd grade, which was early and was because I already knew how to read music. I was a 4th grader in a 4th/5th grade split class and that year I was invited to my first "boy/girl" birthday party. Mr. Bates was my 6th grade teacher - who moved to Idaho and his son served a mission with Evan - and he actually came to my wedding - small world.


Brockbank Junior High was a time I would like to forget, but luckily it was just for 7th and 8th grade. I was kind of a geek, played in the band, took all the honors classes and pretty much hung out by myself at lunch. I had 7th grade gym with all of the 8th grade cheerleaders. Showering after gym class was mandatory and probably the most degrading thing I have ever had to do. I was exposed to kids my age "smoking" when a girl in my gym class lit up outside while we were playing a softball game. We actually started wearing "dress pants" to school when I was in Junior high - it was dresses up to that time.

High School began as a Freshman at Cyprus High and I was "Judy's little sister". I tagged along to the games with her and her friends and somehow survived. But I did get involved in high school, partly because of Judy's example and decided to try to enjoy high school. I was in the Band, Pep Club, Keyettes, FBLA, National Honor Society, Copy Editor of the Yearbook, on Song & Yell Committees and the Graduation Committee Chairperson. My senior year, I won a couple of awards during Spirit Week - dressed up as a Hillbilly on "Sticker-gitter-day" (first place) and as a "Greaser" on 50's day (honorable mention). I was President of both FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) and Keyettes (a service organization). I was chosen as the Business Sterling Scholar and made it on Television as one of the 12 finalists and I wore a new blue floral formal with a scarf tied around my neck. I wrote the winning "Original Song" my Senior Year for Song & Yell. I graduated 13th in my class with a 3.93 GPA and earned a scholarship to the University of Utah. Toddlers & Tiaras have nothing on me - I competed in the Miss Magna Contest with Magna Water as my sponsor.

After High School, I attended the University of Utah and was on a Business Advisory Committee my Freshman year and actually ate dinner in the home of Jon Huntsman, Sr. - he was the Dean of the School of Business and I had no idea who he was. I worked the entire time I went to the U and took mostly night classes. It took me 11 years to finally graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Accounting. I was a member of the business fraternity, Beta Alpha Psi and was Vice President my last year! I did an internship with the Big 8 accounting firm of Coopers and Lybrand and then accepted a full time position with them after graduation.

I could go on and on - but I think that's enough for now. All of the things I did "back then" helped develop who I am today. I'm thankful for the experiences - both the good ones and the bad. I don't think I will be around after another 54 years - but you never know!

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

Thanks for the birthday report. I hope you had a good day!

japetersen said...

Very good -- I remember most everything you wrote about. Good work younger sister! Happy Birthday, too!

Blog Archive