Monday, March 14, 2011

Dad



Since Mom passed away, we have been focused on her passing and what she meant to all of us. But, as I think about Mom, I can't forget Dad. I never really understood the love that Dad had for Mom until she was gone.

My Dad was always so big and strong to me. He worked hard and supported our family financially. He has served in the church my entire life. Yesterday, he came to dinner and told us that he had the same calling now as when he first started. I said - ward clerk, young men's - neither of those "Nothing" was his response, and then he laughed. You see he has been the gospel doctrine teacher for the past 29 years. A couple of weeks ago, the bishop told him that they were going to release him. When asked how he felt about that, he said it was probably time someone else had that opportunity.

He has said some poignant things over the past weeks that have touched my heart. From "I can't believe she's gone" to "She didn't teach me to cook". He wanted a younger picture of Mom so he would remember what she looked like when he meets her in heaven. He has a strong testimony of where she is and what she is doing right now! He gets tears in his eyes as he talks about her. He pays the bills, does the laundry (still three times a week), sends birthday cards...all in an effort to keep doing what she would have been doing.

He isn't afraid to accept help from his family, but still wants to remain somewhat independent. He wants to know exactly how much money he has in the checking account. He is more than willing to have someone else go to the grocery store for him, and he has ventured out a little more each week.

He is a great man, who got there with the help of his great wife! This week will be a tough one for him - 60 year anniversary on March 19th - but he won't be alone. We will be remembering and celebrating their life together!

3 comments:

Bing Math said...

Nice post!

Annie said...

I didn't mean to copy you....you inspired me to write a post about grandpa that I'd been thinking about writing for a while.

japetersen said...

I didn't read this until after I had written a few things. I guess we all have our thoughts on the same topic -- Dad and Mom!

Blog Archive