Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Friends

I'm not a big friends person. I consider my best friends to be family - Evan, my children, my sisters, my Mom.

But, I do still associate with a group of great women I became friends with while working at Coopers & Lybrand MANY years ago. Long ago in the "80's" women were not a common component in the "professional" workforce - specifically public accounting. We were what I would consider trail blazers at the firm. There were four of us that kind of carved the path for the women coming behind us. Some stayed with the firm long enough to get their experience needed to be a licensed CPA (that was me) - others stayed a bit longer. One of us made it to Manager (one step below Partner). I was the first to have a baby while working there - which didn't work out that great and Cheri hired me at American Investment Bank 6 months after having Preston.

We have been through alot in those 25 years! Cheri was the only one married at the beginning (she got married at 20) - I was next (at age 29) - then Barbara (age 29) then Kristi (age 27). We are all still married to the same men - we were all married in the temple. Cheri lost Roy 6 1/2 years ago - and has just started "dating" again.

We have been getting together off and on for the last 25 years (outside of work) - and started including our families about 15-16 years ago. We rotate homes, bring our kids and husbands, and reaquaint.

Last year was my turn to host, but with Preston's wedding I begged off - we didn't get together - kind of counted Preston's wedding. That didn't let me off the hook and last night the party was at my house.

Me, Cheri and Kristi are still working as accountants. Barbara retired from accounting - but has been driving an ice cream truck this summer to help out a friend (she is probably a little over qualified - I don't think the job required a Master's degree).

It's been a great ride watching our lives change and our families grow. We have 14 children (10 girls and 4 boys) ranging in ages 10-23. Our daughers have become beautiful young women. Our sons have served (will serve) missions and all are worthy priesthood holders. Some are athletic, some are dramatic, some are quiet, some aren't. They are all goal oriented - just like their Mom's! Our husbands are successful and supportive.

We live in Riverton, Bountiful, Cottonwood Heights and West Valley. I always get a little "tense" when it's at my house. But I survived - the food was great - the weather was great - the company was great. It was a great evening!


No comments:

Blog Archive