Monday, August 15, 2011

It's like peeling a Banana!

I have been working at my current employer for 9 years. When I started, some of the accounting functions were being handled by the office manager "because they always had been". I haven't pushed too hard to take them over - didn't want to rock the boat.

The office manager has been with the firm for 45+ years and has been hinting at retirement for the last couple of years. Well, she has finally decided that September 15th is the day and she is having a "hard" time dealing with it for a couple of reasons. She has told me that PYG has been her life. She has given it 110%. She has forgone vacations, time with her family, etc. to work! She has had some regrets, but for the most part, I think it's obvious she has really enjoyed working here! We will miss her but I've told her she has EARNED retirement! No one works for ever!

So as we are delegating her duties - I likened it to peeling a banana - taking away her job functions one peel at a time!

Lessons to be learned......
No one works for ever
Use your vacation days - they are given to you for a reason
Everyone can be replaced
Loyalty is admirable - but not required
Keep your life in balance - keep regrets to a minimum

My favorite saying is one me and Evan remind ourselves of.....
"No one dies wishing they had spent more time at work!"

Blog Archive