Monday, April 9, 2012

Two Weeks Tomorrow

It will be two weeks tomorrow since I had my first surgery - and hopefully my last - total hip replacement. I had put it off and was going to keep putting it off. I had an appointment with my Dr. Shepherd (my primary care physician) on March 6th. It was the first time he took an X-ray of my hip - his words "It's really bad". He said that it would not get better, but it was entirely up to me as to what I wanted to do but eventually I would need a hip replacement. He referred me to the IHC "Bone Hotline" to have them give me a referral and also referred Dr. Kent Samuelson (who did Mom and Dad's joint replacements).

I called the Hotline - and they said that they could get me in to see a Dr. Michael Johnson on Friday, March 9th. I asked about him - they said he was great - and that he did the new anterior hip replacement method! I also asked about Dr. Samu;;elson - they said he was good - but that he did the "old fashioned" posterior surgery.

So we went to see Dr. Johnson on Friday - he was young (and cute) and when he looked at my hip X-ray said "You must be really tough". He too said that it would not get better and that total hip replacement was the best option - and that he had a cancellation on March 27th - if I wanted to do it then. As we left - I had mixed emotions - scared - thinking way to much about it. I called it elective - only because I was the one to decide if I wanted to go through with it. Of course I started surfing the net - where only "bad" experiences are posted. Started reading about recalls of the hip devices, etc. I called back to IHC and said I had a bunch of quesitons about the surgery, Dr. Johnson, etc. They said they would get the answers for me. Five minutes later Dr. Johnson called - he wanted to answer my questions an concerns - kind of won me over at that point. I went ahead and scheduled the March 27th surgery - but still kept my appointment with Dr. Samuelson.

So on March 22nd - we went to meet with Dr. Samuelson. He has been doing joint replacements for a very long time. I think he is about 70 years old. First an X-ray was taken, then met with his nurse, then with his PA (Physicians Assistant) and then Dr. Samuelson. The response from them was "WOW - you must be in a lot of pain". They tried to sell me on the posterior method vs. the anterior method. Simply put - he prefers the posterior becuase that is what he always done. In the end, he said that there was no wrong decision - that I need the hip replacement and either way would be okay.

So - do I go with the new anterior method - faster recovery, less evasive. Or the old posterior method. Kind of a no brainer.......

The surgery went well - Alta View Hospital is a pretty good facility - other than they forgot to tell Evan and Dad that I was in my room! I felt pretty out of it and crappy the first day - they got me up the next morning - felt like I was going to puke - BUT - THERE WAS NO HIP PAIN!

I just kept getting better and better - by Thursday - with more physical therapy - no drugs (other than tylenol) I was ready to bust out of there. Dr. Johnson came in about 3:00 and asked what they were doing for me at the hospital. He said if I wanted to go home that I could. GREAT!

I still felt kind of crappy until about Monday - and have been feeling better every day. Today I had the surchers (stitches) taken out and can now shower at ease and wear normal clothes (non-sweats). I plan on going back to work on Monday, the 16th.

You've heard people say they wonder whey they waited to do different things throughout their life - well I now can say - I wonder why I waited so long.

I look forward to getting stronger and stronger - being able to walk around the block with bending over in pain - being able to go shopping for more than a half an hour at a time - being able to excersise, etc. etc. etc.......

How blessed we are to have such wonderful procedures and technology at our fingertips. I am so looking forward to living many more pain free years!!!!!

3 comments:

Bing Math said...

Glad you are doing so well!

Annie said...

Auntie Cindy -

It is so cool that you are doing so well and that as of yesterday, two weeks after surgery you can drive. awesome. You are bionic and wonder woman at the same time.

japetersen said...

Yea, Cindy!

Blog Archive