Monday, November 8, 2010

Uncle Blaine


Yesterday we went to see Uncle Blaine in the VA Hospital...he has taken a turn for the worse.

It's crazy to think that just three months ago he was at Preston's wedding reception and actually looked good. He told us at that time that a growth had been found in his stomach and that they were going to do a biopsy on it the next week. Well it ended up being cancer and he decided to go ahead and treat it with chemotherapy. He was moved to a care facility and spent some time at the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

Last Friday he was readmitted to the VA Hospital with a bacterial virus. He is in MICU (Medical ICU) and we had to put on gowns and gloves before we could go visit. Mom and Dad went in first and then when he asked for a blessing Evan and I went in. I couldn't believe my eyes. He didn't even look like Uncle Blaine and was nothing but skin and bones. His hair was long and combed straight back. His words were slurred but he did know who we were and he actually asked how my kids were....that's the thing...he has watched my kids for about the last ten years as they have participated in sports.

He is a sports nut! Every sports season, I would send him a schedule and he would usually show up - good weather and bad. I remember at one time he told me while watching a Hunter football game, that if he was still alive at 80 that someone should just take him out and shoot him. I also remember seeing him when he turned 80 and asked if he still wanted that - he said no. Last week he turned 82 years old!

He has lived alone for quite some time in a little apartment on 9th West. His three living daughters were at the hospital last night and were not handling things very well. When a nurse came looking for some consecrated oil, Evan pulled his out. Vicki (his 2nd daughter) said "Oh you Mormons!" I turned to her and said "Vicki, your a Mormon too!" to which she replied "I don't even know where my ward is". It's times like this that I'm glad I have the gospel, together with the faith and knowledge that it give me. It makes me sad that they don't have it in their lives.

When I left, I went to talk to them and told them how much their Dad needed them right now. I did it with a smile and told them stories of Grandpa Eccles and that their Dad reminded me of him and how my Mom reminded me of him....as he got older he got kind of grumpy and would say anything he wanted to...just like their Dad and my Mom...but again that he really needed them right now.

As we talked on the way home, we talked about how people deal with relationships, illness and death. In the last few years, Blaine and Mom had developed a really good relationship. Our family (the Huber's) have invited him to family events - blessings, baptisms, mission farewells, weddings - and he would come!
I'm not sure Uncle Blaine will make it and I don't know how this will affect his kids, but for me I'm glad our family had the chance to get to know him and have him be a part of our lives!




2 comments:

japetersen said...

Very nice!

varnell said...

Cindy, I too still have the gospel in my life, I was just kidding about the oil and mormons comment. I just don't go to church, but that doesn't make me any less of a person in gods eyes in my opinion. Yes its true we all deal with grief differently but I do know that my dad was glad you brought your mom to the hospital and I know he appreciated getting a blessing that night. It was great to see you at the VA that night.

Blog Archive